Prepare to learn more about local Philadelphia organizations that are currently working to combat some of society’s most pressing public health issues. At the end of this week you will know even more about organizations addressing critical topics such as food shortages, HIV/AIDS prevention, the opioid epidemic, and the importance of registering for the census. You will also have an opportunity to contribute to these organizations through donations and spreading awareness of the valiant efforts that are occurring right now here in Philadelphia.
Day 1: Food Insecurity During COVID-19 (September 14, 2020)
Today we will have an opportunity to learn more about food insecurity, and a local organization, Philabundance, and the work that they are currently doing to help combat hunger in Philadelphia during the pandemic.
- Learn more about Philabundance: http://www.foodconnectgroup.com/philabundance.html
- Donate: http://www.foodconnectgroup.com/donate.html
Day 2: HIV/AIDS Awareness & Prevention (September 15, 2020)
Today we will learn about Philadelphia Fight Community Health Centers and the work that they are doing in regard to HIV primary care and prevention.
- Learn more about Philadelphia Fight: https://fight.org/about/mission/
- Aids/Prevention Asynchronous Session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIk98oMqz5w&feature=emb_title
- Donate: https://fight.org/how-to-help/donate/
Day 3: Battling the Opioid Epidemic (September 16, 2020)
Today we will have an opportunity to learn more about Prevention Point Philadelphia, an organization aimed at promoting health, empowerment and safety for communities affected bty drug use and poverty. You will also be able to learn more about the overdose reversal training, with an opportunity for another training session if you are interested in the near future.
- Learn more about Prevention Point: https://ppponline.org/about-us/mission-vision-and-values
- Overdose Reversal Training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBu4J1pTdss
- Prevention Point Video #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrkXjYJ2uV0
- Prevention Point Video #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSojQeGdY_w
- Prevention Point Video #3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBYAshnY88U&t=28s
- Donate: https://ppponline.org/donate
Day 4: Census Awareness (September 17, 2020)
Today we will have an opportunity to learn more about Philly Counts. You will also have the opportunity to learn more about the importance of registering for the Census and its implications on society, making sure that you are registered, and also spreading awareness to peers about registering for the census by September 30th.
- Learn more about Philly Counts 2020: https://www.phila.gov/programs/philly-counts-2020/
- Complete the census (if you have not already): https://2020census.gov
Day 5: Thank You Letters to COVID Health (September 18, 2020)
Today for the final day of service learning, we will have the opportunity to learn about some of the work that essential workers are doing at Thomas Jefferson Hospital. You will also be able to write a thank you letter to an essential worker or a letter of encouragement to a current patient at Thomas Jefferson Hospital as well.
- Learn more about Thomas Jefferson Hospital: https://thehealthnexus.org/category/covid-19/
- Thank You Letters/Letters of Encouragement: https://drexel.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9SOis8geH84dZyJ
- Donate: https://giving.jefferson.edu/ways-to-give.html